1891-1899: Woolwich Arsenal
Royal Arsenal had begun growing and the club drew more than just its name from the arms factory in Woolwich. Peter Connolly, Humphrey Babour, J. M. Charteris, John McBean, William Scott and Richard Horsington were some of the more seasoned players drawn from the factory and given their wealth of experienced stars, the club turned professional in 1891.
Other amateur clubs in southern London were displeased by Royal Arsenal’s move for professionalism and the club were banned from participating in local competitions. The club tried to establish a separate southern league but failed in their attempts to do so. Consequently, the club changed their name to Woolwich Arsenal and formed a limited liability company to raise funds to purchase Manor Ground. Continue reading